Take a vacation, grill outdoors, head to the pool; there are certain rites of summer we all tend to enact year after year. And while traditions are traditions (all of the above are pretty great), sometimes it’s good to mix things up a little. In that spirit, here are 10 simple, affordable things you may not have considered to help make your summer even more summery!
• Float down a lazy river in an inner tube (with a beer or a book perhaps…)
• Join a local P-Patch (a parcel of property used for gardening allotments) if you don’t have a garden of your own—or at least visit a few.
• Start a block party and get to know your neighbors.
• Have a tie-dye t-shirt party in your backyard (particularly fun with kiddos).
• Drive to an entirely unfamiliar neighborhood, park your car, and explore it by foot or bike. (Don’t rely on Yelp or GPS or any technology to tell you what to do.)
• Find a drive-thru movie theater (if you can) and bring healthy, homemade snacks for the film.
• Go to a local music festival and check out bands you’ve never heard before.
• Camp out in the yard.
• Make homemade popsicles.
• Go stargazing. If you live in a city, drive to a place with less light pollution. If you’re in a rural area, grab a blanket and a bottle of wine and find your inner celestial being.
Photo Credit: Jacob Lund/Shuttersock