Dry, flaky, red, blemished, aggravated skin can happen in any climate, in any season.
Last spring, we brought you 5 Ways to Detox Your Face, and now we’ve gathered five more ways – super simple ways – to uncover your healthy, glowing, gorgeous skin.
Live Well, Live Better Sign up here for more inspiring expert advice on living your best life from Books for Better Living and Penguin Random House.
5 MORE WAYS TO DETOX YOUR FACE
1. WATER, WATER, WATER. And then some more water. Staying hydrated is the easiest, most impactful thing you can do for your skin.
Begin your day with a glass of lemon water. You can drink it cold or warm like a tea. Add a little honey if it’s too tart. Then wait 30 minutes before drinking or eating anything else. It’s a simple Ayurvedic trick that clarifies, cleanses, and detoxes your skin.
2. WATCH WHAT YOU EAT. Tired of reading unrealistic manifestos telling you that you have to give up everything you like to eat? How about something doable? Here you go! Pick one thing from each of these lists that you can avoid eating/drinking/doing for one week.
These things congest the skin: red meat, pork, dairy products, chocolate, and sweet baked goods. These things overstimulate the skin: spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, nicotine. Drop one thing from each list, keep an eye on your skin, and see how it looks after a week!
3. CLEANSE WITH OIL. This is just weird, but true: water does not dissolve oil, oil dissolves oil. (We think we remember learning this in high school chemistry: like dissolves like, but anyway…).
This is something you need to be mindful about and pay attention to your skin’s reaction as you do it. But here it goes: try putting your facial soap aside for a week and cleansing your skin with oil instead. A little goes a long way!
Try sunflower seed oil (all skin types); sweet almond oil (all skin types + oily skin); grapeseed oil (all skin types + oily skin); jojoba oil (acne-prone skin); avocado oil (dry skin). Steer clear of olive oil and coconut oil as they may clog your pores and exacerbate blackheads.
4. OIL PULLING. Have you heard about this? Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that can detoxify your mouth, whiten your teeth, and clear your complexion. Here’s what you do: swish high-quality oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes. Don’t swallow it. Don’t gargle with it. Just swish.
Coconut oil seems to be everybody’s favorite for its mild taste and antibacterial properties. Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so carve out a tablespoon and chew it until it dissolves. Then prepare yourself for the very odd experience of oil pulling. It’s kinda gross, but you might get used to it!
Helpful hint: try it in the shower. It’s an easy way to ensure that you’ll swish for more than just a few seconds over the sink. It also has the benefit of giving you an easy place to spit if you just can’t take it anymore.
5. EXFOLIATE. Make your own facial exfoliant with stuff you have in your kitchen. Combine an exfoliant (baking soda, sea salt, sugar, oatmeal, coffee grounds, ground almonds) with a liquid (water, yogurt, milk, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar). Have fun, experiment, find a combination that suits you!
Important, though: be gentle with your application. Most people rub way too hard and for far too long when using exfoliants.
Keep it simple! Open your pores with a hot washcloth, apply your concoction gently, let the ingredients do the work for you (for only about a minute), then rinse with warm water.
Enjoy your rejuvenated skin!
Do you have a favorite skin detox regimen? Tell us all about it in a comment!