Julie Gabriel is a holistic nutritionist who teaches how to “eat yourself beautiful” in her new book, Holistic Beauty from the Inside Out. Here are her tips for maintaining healthy, radiant skin.
Pollutants, dirt, chemicals in water and makeup, a less-than-pure diet and hormonal disorders: all of these contribute to our inner toxic load, and it shows up on our faces with such tell-tale signs as blemishes, redness, dry patches or flakiness.
Thankfully, today there are many ways to detox your skin from inside out.
1. WATER: Drinking water is an obvious way to achieve a glowing, hydrated complexion. Begin your day with a glass of water mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon honey. During the day drink green tea with lemon or ginger tea, which is bursting with skin-protecting antioxidants.
2. PROBIOTICS: Adding a good probiotic to your diet helps purify your skin from inside out. Regular bowel movements and strong immunity are essential for clear, toxin-free skin and long-term health in general. Instead of buying expensive probiotic yogurts with “live” bacteria, make your own yogurt or invest in a simple yogurt-making machine and experiment with fresh fruit, cereals, honey and even culinary herbs added to your yogurts.
3. FIBER: Increasing the fiber content of your diet not only helps combat bloating, it has a tremendous benefit for your skin. Beware of ready-made fiber supplements which can leave you bloated or even lead to constipation. Eat traditional oatmeal or delicious muesli for breakfast, switch from white bread to whole meal or gluten-free type, eat more nuts, and you will easily meet your daily fiber quota. Adding more fiber in the summer cannot be easier! Make a super-simple cleansing salad with ample amounts of salad greens, grated apples, carrots, radishes and any fresh garden herbs you can find. Fresh nettles and dandelion greens are awesome inner cleansers – splash stinging nettle leaves with boiling water to make them delicious and mild.
4. CLEAN COSMETICS: To seal good results achieved from better hydration and smoother digestion, become a consistently green beauty shopper. Shun cosmetic products containing parabens and other unsafe preservatives, petrochemicals, synthetic fragrances, acrylic polymers and chemicals sunscreens. To boost your daily skincare routine, experiment with homemade facial oils made from thin, non-comedogenic oils such as thistle, chia or jojoba, with added detoxifying essential oils similar to those used in the Green Face Detox. Even if you can afford to buy only a few organic skincare essentials, your skin will look a lot better than if you load it with dozens of expensive, chemical-based, anti-aging serums.
4. HOME FACIALS: Once a week indulge in a home spa ritual. Choose a quiet evening and get into the mood with nice soothing music and a cup of nettle tea. Make sure you have everything ready for the Green Face Detox below: sea salt, clay, essential oils, activated charcoal (you can buy it in health food shops or online) and apple juice.
Green Face Detox
First, EXFOLIATE your skin.
Create a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon white or green clay. Add a little water or green tea to make a paste, then gently rub into your skin and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes. Rinse with tepid water and pat face dry.
Then STEAM your skin.
Fill a basin or a pan with very hot water; add skin detoxifying essential oils such as tea tree, eucalyptus or ylang-ylang – no more than three drops each! You can also use fresh or dried lavender, nettle, chamomile, rosemary or any other fragrant herbs and spices to add healing properties to your facial steam bath. Steam your face for 8-10 minutes to thoroughly purify the pores and purge any excess water.
After steaming, make a simple but very effective detoxifying FACIAL MASK.
Combine contents of 3 capsules of activated charcoal with 1 teaspoon clay of your choice and 1 tablespoon apple juice. Make a paste and stir well.
Apply to the whole face avoiding eye area and relax for 7-10 minutes or until the mask dries out. Rinse well with warm water.
>> Get radiant, clear, gorgeous skin – it’s super-easy and all-natural. We have 5 More Ways to Detox Your Face!