As beach, wedding and summer party season gets into full swing, we here at BBL have been kind of obsessed with Bob Harper’s new book, Jumpstart to Skinny, a 21-day diet and exercise program designed to help you drop pounds quick. We won’t lie: It’s a pretty strict diet. But it lasts only three weeks, and it does include one all-you-can-eat food: veggies!
Harper has three main reasons for letting you pig out on vegetables during the diet:
1. Vegetables are a great sources of the vitamins and minerals you need to keep you fit and healthy. And with his demanding regimen, that’s even more essential.
2. Vegetables, especially greens, are high in fiber, which keeps things moving, if you know what I mean.
3. Vegetables are as natural diuretics, which help you get rid of excess water weight.
Harper includes a list of 39 vegetables that you can eat with abandon. With the rainbow of fresh vegetables that have started to appear on farmers market tables this time of year, I’ve been taking his advice and stocking up on some of my favorites to snack on—yellow peppers, snap peas, radishes (the spicier the better!). I even tried a new trick this week: I cut a cauliflower stem into thin slices and my whole family munched on them while we made dinner.
Of all the vegetables out there, Harper says fiber-rich greens are most important, so here’s our gift to you: his recipe for Kale Salad.
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (scallions), both white and green parts
1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 cups chopped kale
4 ounces roasted chicken breast, shredded
1/4 avocado, cubed
5 cups chopped mixed greens
1/4 apple, cubed
1/2 cup chopped broccoli
1. In a small bowl, whisk the green onions, vinegar and lemon juice
2. Put the kale in a large bowl and massage the dressing into it.
3. Toss with the chicken, avocado, mixed greens, apple, and broccoli.