What’s the secret to Haylie Pomroy’s approach to weight loss that has celebrities lining up at her clinics? She’s an expert at helping clients turn up their inner metabolism furnace to burn calories and lose weight. This spring, she’ll share her methods with the world in her book The Fast Metabolism Diet (Harmony, April 2013). In the meantime, here are her tips for keeping metabolism on track during holiday party season.
If you’re trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and feed your metabolism with fresh, whole foods, an impending holiday office party looms like a little devil on your shoulder. On party day, you’ll be staring down a buffet, with boozy eggnog at one end and rich pumpkin pie at the other. Fortunately, there are some practical steps you can take, and none of them involve skipping the dessert table!
The Annual Party Doesn’t Have to Be a Minefield
Indulging in a fun night with coworkers shouldn’t be a cause for stress, which screws up your metabolism even more than piece of pecan pie now and then. Follow these tips, and your body will be primed, prepped and ready—and you won’t find yourself binging.
- Eat your usual healthy meals and snacks throughout the day of the party. Mistake #1 is starving yourself all day. Instead, eat sensible, regular meals and snacks of whole fruits, lean protein and fresh veggies. This keeps your metabolism stable and your blood sugar normal. You’ll arrive feeling happy, relaxed, and ready to enjoy the party.
- Hydrate with water. As always, drink half your body weight in ounces of water throughout the day. That way, your body will be better prepared to process the extra food you’ll probably eat.
- At the party, first go for a protein appetizer, like deviled eggs, hummus with veggies or shrimp cocktail. This sneaky trick kicks your metabolism into gear, right when you need it most.
- If you have an alcoholic drink, go for the good stuff. Organic, sulfite-free red wine and top-shelf clear liquors are easier for your body to process than the cheap junk. Avoid frat-party-style booze with food coloring, a caffeine jolt, etc. Sip an extra 8 ounces of water for every alcoholic drink. It’s best to stop after just one—alcohol never helps your metabolism, but lots of alcohol really murders it.
- Relax and have fun. This actually helps your body melt fat. Remember, stress and anxiety about anything—including food—make your body think there’s a real emergency going on. Fat-burning screeches to a halt. In fact, your body starts hoarding fat against whatever disaster or famine may strike.
Having a Good Time is GOOD
Happily, pleasure fires up your metabolism too. When you’re happy, you’re flooding your body with endorphins, feel-good hormones that nudge your thyroid gland to crank out more fat-burning hormones. And you’re lowering another hormone, leptin, which makes you feel hungry. So don’t skip the office party. Follow these tips and enjoy!
Get more metabolism-boosting tips from Haylie Pomroy at facebook.com/hayliepomroy.