When your brain works right, you work right; when your brain is troubled, you are much more likely to have trouble in your life. Isn’t it time to show your brain some love? Here are 10 things you can do right now to boost your brain health:
- Protect your brain from injuries.
- Surround yourself with a positive, healthy support system made up of friends and family.
- Consider taking a multivitamin, omega- 3 supplement, and vitamin D supplement to maintain healthy levels of these nutrients.
- Limit alcohol consumption to no more than four glasses a week.
- Engage in physical exercise, building endurance and strength.
- Get quality sleep, seven to eight hours each night.
- Eat natural foods of many different colors to boost antioxidants, low-glycemic, high-fiber carbohydrates, and high-quality lean protein. Limit fat consumption to healthy fats, especially those containing omega-3s.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid liquid calories.
- Continue lifelong learning.
- Practice effective stress management practices, such as deep breathing and meditation.
Adapted from Use Your Brain to Change Your Age by Dr. Daniel G. Amen (Crown Archetype)