As Halloween creeps upon us, we’ve partnered with our sister sites The Recipe Club, Read It Forward, CrafterNews and Crown, to ask our authors: What five things terrify you most? Here’s a list from ultra-endurance athlete Rich Roll, author of Finding Ultra.
1. Regret: I don’t ever want to look back on my life and wonder what might have happened. Never let fear paralyze your hopes and dreams.
2. Packaged Food: Behemoth corporate interests have conspired to prevent all of us from discovering the truth about the unhealthy foods they try to convince us to eat. Due to chemical preservatives, high fructose corn syrup and GMO’s, we suffer unnecessarily from a wide array of diseases and have never been more unhealthy, sick, obese and diseased as a society. Educate yourself. Eat real food. And if you live in California, vote yes on Prop. 37.
3. Faith: Trusting in your path is easy when things are going your way. But having faith – true belief — that you are walking the correct path for yourself, particularly when things are not going your way, is as terrifying as it is comforting. It remains the true test of real faith — the warrior path. Embracing your higher self, trusting in your heart and taking action based on this to unlock your more authentic self is probably the scariest thing you can ever do. And the most important and self-fulfilling.
4. Big Corporate Law Firms: I worked as and attorney at a big firm for years before breaking out. I still have nightmares that I am back working in that environment.
5. Texting Drivers: Cycling is dangerous enough as it is. But the idea that I could bee side swiped by a driver momentarily distracted by his or her Twitter feed is pretty darn scary.
What terrifies you? Tell us on Twitter with the hashtag #TerrifyingThings. Happy Halloween!