It’s Inspiration Month at Books for Better Living, and we turned to Tara Stiles, the author of BBL’s Book of the Month, Yoga Cures, to jumpstart our inspiration with the following seven big benefits of yoga:
- Physical: The movements of yoga will carve out a long, lean, strong and confident body.
- Mental: All those deep breaths reset your mind back to its natural state: calm, focused, and sharp.
- Psychological: All the focusing inward illuminates our behaviors and tendencies. The same habits we have on our mat are the ones we have in our lives. We see this, and we gain the freedom of choice. Who do I want to be? We get to create or recreate ourselves each day. Regular practice gives you a clear mind and the inspiration and courage to be constantly expanding and improving your life.
- Neurological: When your brain is “on yoga” your neurological system is brought back into balance and is conditioned to steer you naturally toward a healthy lifestyle. Our bodies constantly rewire to make easy what we practice. When we practice healthy, balanced living we get more healthy, balanced living.
- Intuitive: When there is tension in the body and mind, your intuition gets buried and your body switches to survival mode. Your yoga practice makes space in your body physically, releases tension, and calms your mind, making room for your intuition to float to the surface and guide you.
- Creative: Creative juices start to flow when your body and mind begin to release mental blocks. Whether physical tension, or mental cloudiness, creativity doesn’t like to come out when there are stressors. When the stress melts away, creativity can come out to play.
- Connected: Yoga is the practice of getting connected. However you choose to view your spirituality, when you practice yoga, you remember that we all are connected, here to help each other, and that we have so much potential when we are kind to others.