My former neighborhood coffee shop used to make a version of this sandwich called the “Brer Rabbit.”
I’m not exactly sure why they named it after a character in American folklore, but it certainly piqued my interest because I mistakenly thought it was related to Welsh rarebit. To my surprise, it turned out to be something completely and deliciously different!
The coffee shop is long gone, but I’ve since created my own version at home. This elegant sandwich can be pulled together in less than five minutes. You can easily substitute apple for the pear or baby spinach for the arugula, but the Brie and fig jam are musts.
Pear and Brie Sandwich with Arugula and Fig Jam
6 to 8-inch piece of French baguette
2 to 3 ounces Brie cheese, sliced
½ almost ripe pear (Bartlett or Anjou), sliced
1/2 cup baby arugula
1 tablespoon fig jam
Yield: 1 sandwich
1. Using a serrated knife, slice the bread in half horizontally.
2. Arrange slices of Brie on the bottom half of the bread.
3. Spread the cheese around with a butter knife so that it covers all of the bread.
4. Top with sliced pear, arugula, and fig jam.
5. Cut the sandwich in half diagonally and serve.
Photo Credit: inacio pires/Shutterstock.com