With instant access to the world at our fingertips, it’s far too easy to be left feeling hopeless. Disheartening news about our world’s unstable political climate continuously bombards us. Social media leads us to compare ourselves to filtered versions of others. Emails and calendar notifications never stop pinging us, even when we’re not at our desks. All it takes is a simple scroll on our phone or tablet to make it difficult to enjoy even the sunniest of days.
We may end up asking ourselves, “Where’s the love?”
According to Emily Coxhead, author of Make Someone Happy, it’s still out there. You just have to know where to look for it — and better yet, share it with others. Love is in the small things that can make a difference in someone’s otherwise gloomy day. Maybe these things won’t change the world, but they might change someone’s world. If you’ve ever been on the receiving end, then you already know just how impactful these little acts can be.
Read on for 15 ideas that will inspire you to send someone in your life some well-deserved love:
1. Think of someone whom you often take for granted and write him or her a thank you note for all that they’ve done for you. It’s easy to get caught up with work and daily life and to forget to let others know how much you appreciate them.
2. Write an email or better yet, a letter to an old teacher, mentor, or professor who helped shape you into who you are today. Everyone deserves to know that they’ve been an inspiration to others!
3. Write a letter to your ex-best friend or someone else who you used to be close to. Let them know that there are no hard feelings, and simultaneously feel a weight lift off of your chest.
4. Make a playlist of the songs that always put you in a good mood no matter what. Then share it with someone who could really use some joy!
5. Find a charity or campaign that’s not only making this world a better place, but speaks directly to you. Then donate as much as you’re able to.
6. Give someone your full attention. That means putting your phone away and wholly opening up your ears and your mind.
7. Surprise your colleague by buying them a coffee or tea — because that’s the best way for someone to start their day.
8. Leave some change in a random parking meter. There’s nothing like an anonymous act of kindness to make someone’s day a little easier.
9. Grab a friend and do something that neither of you has ever tried before. Even if you both struggle at first, you’ll strengthen your bond and make new memories to cherish later!
10. Take a family member or a friend out to lunch or drinks for absolutely no reason other than to spend quality time with them.
11. Make a list of all the things you would include in a care package to a homeless person — then actually donate those goods!
12. We encounter countless salespeople throughout our day, and they normally just remain anonymous. This time, strike up a conversation with one and ask them how they’re doing.
13. Think about a message you once received that made you incredibly happy. Now, think of an equally sweet message to send back to that person.
14. This one’s so easy; there’s no reason not to do it. Thank somebody for just being themselves!
15. Give somebody a big, heartfelt hug today — because you both deserve it!
Photo Credit: Thitaree Sarmkasat/iStock