MATCHA: STILL THE ‘IT’ BEVERAGE
Chinese monks have been drinking matcha since 2500 B.C.E. but it took Gwyneth Paltrow Instagramming her matcha latte last summer for it to become a thing here in the U.S. Now it’s everywhere – Starbucks, the grocery store, pretty much anywhere you’d buy tea.
Matcha is made by whisking a powder into hot water to make a frothy bright green delicious (and nutritious) drink. It’s naturally sweet and tastes “green” – you know, that vegetal/mineral flavor that lets you know it’s good for you.
5 Reasons to Drink Matcha
1. IT’LL CALM YOU DOWN. Matcha has about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee. It also contains L-theanine, which balances the caffeine, helping you feel relaxed without making you sleepy.
2. IT BOOSTS YOUR METABOLISM. But even better, matcha aids in digestion and improves your immune system at the same time.
3. IT’S AN ANTIOXIDANT SUPERFOOD. One cup of matcha has more antioxidants than a serving of goji berries, dark chocolate, pomegranate, wild blueberries, açai berries, and broccoli … combined!
4. IT’LL FRESHEN YOUR BREATH. Matcha contains catechin, which combats the germs and bacteria that cause halitosis and gum disease.
5. IT’S AN EASY WAY TO DETOX. Matcha is chock full of chlorophyll, which cleanses your system and helps remove toxins from the body.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock