The food that has attracted the most attention in the scientific community when it comes to brain health is fish.
Its omega-3 fats are vital to proper brain function, helping you think more clearly and be happier. Omega-3s—especially the fish oil DHA—allow your brain cells (neurons) to do their job: talk to one another.
The more fatty fish people eat, the better they score on a battery of cognitive tests measuring reaction time, memory, reasoning and problem-solving, and overall cognition. Eating fatty fish may also lower the risk of depression by 25 percent.
How’s this for a triple threat: The Pescetarian Plan rolls all three fat-fighting diets into one. It’s Mediterranean and basically vegetarian with the addition of seafood.
You’d think that the words diet and painless would go together about as well as socks and sandals. But my clients tell me that the Pescetarian Plan is the most painless way they’ve ever lost weight. There are lots of biological and psychological ways this plan makes it easier to lose weight, including:
It tastes good. You’re eating food you actually like, and the sky’s the limit when it comes to recipes.
Salmon with Tahini and Toasted Nuts
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 15 MINUTES
1/4 cup tahini
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon mashed garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons roughly chopped toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons roughly chopped toasted almonds
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of cayenne, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 pound wild salmon skin removed, fresh or frozen
1. In a bowl, combine the tahini, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 3 tablespoons of water, mashed garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the cilantro, walnuts, almonds, onion, olive oil, cayenne, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
3. Fill the bottom of a steamer with water and bring to a boil.
4. Season fish with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, place on a plate, and put it in the top of the steamer. Cover and cook, taking care to remove while fish is still pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Remove the fish from steamer, top with the tahini mixture and then with the cilantro mixture.
6. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Photo Credit: Gregory Gerber/Shutterstock.com