Halloween is finally upon us! We’ve partnered with our sister sites The Recipe Club, Read It Forward, CrafterNews and Crown, to ask our authors: What five things terrify you most? Here’s a list from Dan Coyle, author of The Little Book of Talent and The Secret Race.
1. Being a Parent. That surreal, incredulous feeling from the maternity ward — You mean they let us take him home? Seriously? — never quite goes away.
2. Monkeys. Those ever-alert eyes. The superhuman quickness and strength. But what really gets me are those little wrinkles on their knuckles — just like ours. (Also: possibly related to Fear #1.)
3. Jell-O Desserts with Mystery Ingredients.
4. The Unsupervised Combination of Kids’ Brains and the Internet. We’re in the midst of a giant generational experiment on the nature of childhood, as traditional play is replaced with thousands of hours of screen time. One word: Yikes.
5. Giant Moray Eels. Evolution is usually an efficient designer, but here it was clearly playing around in the costume department, seeing just how over-the-top terrifying it could make a creature appear.
What terrifies you? Tell us on Twitter with the hashtag #TerrifyingThings. Happy Halloween!