Take a break from the ordinary weekend breakfast fare of pancakes or waffles with this extraordinary, healthy version of sweet and nutty French toast. Delicious served warm, you can top it with sliced fresh fruit or berries and a dollop of fat-free yogurt.
Sign up to receive inspiring, expert advice on living your best life from Books for Better Living and Penguin Random House.
Raisin French Toast Bake
Makes 4 Servings: 1 wedge (one-quarter of the casserole) per serving
Total prep, cooking, and pressure release time: 28 minutes
1½ cups water
3 large egg whites
1 large egg
½ cup fat-free milk
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 slices of whole-wheat raisin bread (lowest sodium available), toasted and cut into ¾-inch squares
3 tablespoons unsalted sliced almonds, dry-roasted
1. Place the steaming rack in the pressure cooker. Pour in the water. Lightly spray a 7-cup heatproof glass bowl with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the egg whites and egg until well blended. Whisk in the milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Gently stir in the bread to coat the squares.
3. Spoon the bread mixture into the glass bowl. Sprinkle the almonds over the bread mixture. Cover the top of the dish with aluminum foil.
4. Place the bowl with the bread mixture in the center of a foil sling. To make a foil sling, cut an 18-inch-long piece of aluminum foil. Fold it lengthwise in thirds to make a ribbon about 4 x 18 inches. Draw the ends of the foil up and over the dish. Using the sling, lower the bowl onto the rack in the pressure cooker. Secure the lid. Cook on high pressure for 16 minutes. Quickly release the pressure.
5. Using potholders, carefully lift the sling supporting the bowl out of the pressure cooker. Uncover the bowl. Cut the bake into wedges. Serve warm.
Total Fat 4.5 g
Saturated Fat 1.0 g
– Trans Fat 0.0 g
– Polyunsaturated Fat 1.0 g
– Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 162 mg
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fiber 3 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 8 g
– 1 starch, ½ other carbohydrate, 1 lean meat
Recipe from American Heart Association Instant and Healthy by the American Heart Association © American Heart Association, 2018. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, Harmony Books, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC.