Makes 4 Burgers
Barbecuing Time 10 Minutes
Preparation Time 1 Hour + 30 Minutes
For the Patties
1⁄3 cup (70 g) brown rice
2 tablespoons wild rice
1⁄2 red onion
11 tablespoons olive oil
3⁄4 cup (75 g) shelled walnuts
3 tablespoons sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons flaxseeds
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1⁄4 cups (200 g) cooked black beans
3 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
4 sweet potato buns
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 handful arugula
1 shallot, finely chopped
4 teaspoons vegan mayonnaise
1. Bring the rice to a boil in 3⁄4 cup (175 ml) water, cover and steam over low heat for 40 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes.
2. Finely chop the onion. Put 3 tablespoons of the oil into a hot frying pan and fry the onion over medium heat for 15 minutes.
3. Combine the walnuts, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds with the herbs and spices in a food processor or mortar and grind to a fine powder.
4. Mix the rice, onion, 4 tablespoons of the oil, nut and seed mixture, beans and bread crumbs and knead by hand until smooth. Leave the mixture to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Shape the mixture into four patties, brush each with 1 tablespoon of the oil and cook over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side until they turn brown with grill marks and are heated through. Halve the pear and grill the halves on their cut sides for 4 minutes over direct heat, and then slice.
6. Cut the burger buns open and warm them on their cut sides on the grill for 1 minute. Cover each of the bottom halves with 1 teaspoon mustard, arugula, one burger pay, finely chopped shallot and pear slices. Top with mayonnaise and cover with the top halves of the buns.
TIP: The burgers cook quite well on a cast-iron griddle, flipped with a very thin spatula.
Recipe from VBQ: The Ultimate Vegan Barbecue Cookbook Copyright © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer, 2016, 2017, 2018. Photographs copyright © Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer, 2016. Illustrations © Nessa Horn, 2016. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com.