Within the green leafy vegetable family, Swiss chard may be the most overlooked. It’s unfortunate because chard is so versatile – not to mention a great source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
In this recipe, I added chopped packaged rainbow chard to the stew during the last five minutes to preserve color and texture. It’s a great dish to serve on the coldest of days, and also works great with other seasonal veggies like cauliflower and broccoli.
It re-heats well so make a double batch to store in the freezer for those lazy days.
Curried Red Lentil Stew with Rainbow Swiss Chard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup red lentils
1 can (13.5 ounce) coconut milk
1 ½ cups water
1 ½ teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coarse salt
5 cups (about 5 ounces) chopped rainbow Swiss chard
Yield: 4 servings
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the oil. When hot, add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until translucent.
2. Add the carrots, lentils, coconut milk, water, and spices. Stir.
3. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium-low and cover.
4. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
5. Uncover, add the Swiss chard, and cook for another 5 minutes.
6. Serve with brown rice, crusty bread, or Indian naan.