According to actress and cancer survivor Suzanne Somers, who has written more than 20 books about health and fitness, there are many hidden obstacles to losing weight, including hormonal changes, gut health issues, environmental factors and hidden food allergies.
In her book, Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty, Suzanne offers her weight-loss tips, like:
1. Eliminate insulin triggers (foods that raise insulin levels: sugar, refined grains, starchy vegetables and alcohol) and bad fats (such as trans fats).
2. Commit to clean, real, organic food. Eliminate chemicals, toxins, fillers and preservatives. Eat organic whenever possible.
3. Choose protein, healthy fats and vegetables at most meals.
4. Watch those carbohydrates.
5. Eat fruits alone, on an empty stomach, to maximize digestion and nutrient absorption.
6. Eat three meals a day. To increase metabolism, you must not skip meals.
7. Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day.
8. Wait 2 hours between meals if switching from a carbohydrate to a protein/healthy fat meal or vice versa. When you eat carbohydrates you will have a rise in your insulin – therefore, you should not eat fat, or eat only minimal fats, when you choose to add that carb as a snack or to a meal. This will continue to isolate the insulin produced by the carbohydrates. After 2 hours, the insulin from the carbs will be processed and you do not have to worry about the insulin carrying those higher-calorie proteins and fats to the fat reserves.
However, you don’t need to be on a weight-loss plan to enjoy the healthy recipes in Suzanne’s book, The Sexy Forever Recipe Bible, including this recipe for Parmesan Crisps with Prosciutto and Arugula—a quick, easy and healthy appetizer.
Parmesan Crisps with Prosciutto and Arugula
8 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half across
Handful of baby arugula
Truffle oil or extra virgin olive oil
16 Parmesan Crisps (recipe below)
Freshly ground black pepper
Place a piece of prosciutto, a leaf of arugula, and a drizzle of truffle oil on each Parmesan crisp. Season with pepper.
Makes 16 crisps
½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use a Silpat nonstick mat). Sprinkle the cheese into 3-inch circles, making several mini “pancakes.” Place in the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, until just golden. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
To learn more about Sexy Forever, visit sexyforever.com.