When Finnish ice cream lovers and award-winning food bloggers Virpi Mikkonen and Tuulia Talvio cut out dairy, gluten, and refined sugars from their diets, they immediately felt energized and healthy, but there was one problem: How were they going to satisfy their ice cream cravings? Lucky for us Virpi and Tuulia rolled up their sleeves and got to work on their book, N’Ice Cream. This book offers more than 80 deliciously decadent vegan ice cream recipes — two of which we’ll be sharing with you: Apple Avocado Mint Pops and Mocha Sundaes. These recipes provide just the trick for beating the summer heat and offer healthier and, more important, tastier alternatives to the traditional ice cream options. Feel free to indulge!
Apple Avocado Mint Pops (NUT FREE)
Like a green smoothie, but in the form of ice cream — how great is that? These ice pops are like little pieces of magic on a very hot day.
1 cup (240ml) freshly pressed apple juice (juice of about 3 apples)
½ ripe avocado, peeled and diced
A few fresh mint leaves
1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more mint if desired.
2. Pour into ice pop molds, add ice pop sticks and freeze for 4-6 hours until firm.
3. Remove the molds by dipping them into hot water for a moment. Serve and enjoy!
Even if you’re not a coffee drinker, you really should try this heavenly coffee sundae. The creamy, rich taste is out of this world.
1 cup (240ml) cashews
½ cup (120ml) unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
3 frozen bananas
3 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon instant coffee, plus more for serving
Raw cacao nibs
Coconut Whipped Cream, if desired
1. Place the cashews into a blender and blend until they form a fine crust.
2. Add almond milk and blend until smooth. Add frozen bananas, almond butter, and instant coffee and blend until smooth.
3. Scoop into serving bowls, top with your favorite vegan whipped cream (if using), sprinkle with some instant coffee and cacao nibs, serve and enjoy!
Adapted from N’ICE CREAM by Virpi Mikkonen and Tuulia Talvio. © Virpi Mikkonen and Tuulia Talvio 2016. An Avery Publishing book, The Penguin Group.
Photo Credit/Africa Studio-Shutterstock